05 September 2011

Sunday Sight Reading

Today's sight reading pushed me more than usual.  I was poking through the Gordon Highlanders collection and thought maybe to try a hornpipe.  Dan's only taught me one hornpipe ("Tam Bain's Lum").  Granted, that ain't your kitchen-piper's hornpipe!  There is some real work in that tune.  But I'm not as familiar with the idiom as I am with other tune types like marches or reels. 

Anyway, found this one right off, tune #43 "The Colquhonnie Hotel" (don't ask me to pronounce it).  It's quite the trickster, with some 4 note birls from quick F's that really tripped me up - I kept wanting to put a G gracenote in front of all of them, and there's only a gracenote in front of a few.  Obviously, I'm playing it WAAAYYYY SLOOOOW and exaggerating the holds and hanging too long on the cuts, but for sight reading, I can do that.  I also recorded each part individually, so you may notice a slight pause at the beginning of each part.

Here it is:

1.  First off, in the second bar, I've got a nasty little crossing noise from D to F.  My only excuse is that I was expecting an E.
2.  Second time through the first part, I added a gracenote to the birl in the last bar.
3.  Third bar of the second part, I played a C strike on D instead of a low G strike.
4.  Tempo screwy in the second time through the second part - second & third bars.
5.  Both times in the second part, I choked in the second to last bar.
6.  Hesitated noticeably in the first bar of the third part.
7.  The gracenote birls in the fourth part are starting to get muddy.  (Double-thinking the tune as I'm reading it - never good.)
8.  Played wrong notes in the fourth bar of the second time through the fourth part.
9.  Oh, I am reaching for that B shake in the second time through the fourth part, aren't I?  If I were a rockclimber, that handhold would have broken off in my hand and I would have tumbled to a certain death right then.
10.  Dunno what's happened to my D throws in this tune.  They're muddy.

All in all, not a bad go-round for this tune.  I would say it's pretty advanced.  I'd love to hear someone play it up-tempo...I bet it's quite lilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment